► Nadia’s tips on how to choose the right interior paint colors for your home
○ Finding the right color and texture
– Purchase a fan deck
– Consider sight lines from room to room
– Have paint company match to your favorite color
○ Fun Ideas
– Add contrast by highlighting your baseboards, windows and trims with a darker color
– Draw attention to one wall in particular by painting it a different color
– Go outside the lines with ceiling paint or horizontal lines
○ Choosing the Perfect Paint
– Choose a white that complements your furniture
– Try colors with a hint of gray for a more sophisticated look
– Experiment on sample boards
– Use a semi-gloss finish on your trims for easy clean-up
You’ll be surprised how a new color can transform a room. Repainting a room is a truly is a fun and inexpensive way to completely change your home.
○ Use a fan deck
First, you want to equip yourself like a pro with a fan deck from your local paint store. A fan deck is a book of all the colors available by a certain paint manufacturer. Go around and match a paint color to all the main objects in a room, things like:
– Window treatments
– Accent pieces
○ Next, go back to the paint store and get individual paint chips of each color. These are the main colors of the room, and you’ll use these to find interior wall colors that will complement them.
○ Visualizing your color choices with 3D design software
Using online kitchen design software, you can experiment with different wall color combinations and use it to recreate your home so you can literally see what your choices will look like from room to room. It’s so great to try before you buy or lift a finger.
○ Consider the sight lines in your home
If you are going to paint your dining room a royal blue, for instance, and you can see into your living room, consider living room colors that wont clash. Don’t paint your living room lavender when your dining room is royal blue.
Choose colors that will work in harmony with each other.
That doesn’t mean you can’t be bold. Experiment with some dramatic options, like painting one wall a different color than the rest of the room. Once you’ve found colors you like, paint a larger surface with your top two choices, then place them against the wall you’re going to paint. Let them live there for a couple of days, so you can see how they make you feel and how they change with the light.
○ How the pros did it
Look through decor magazines to see how pros make color work in different spaces. Pay attention to what you like. For example do softer colors appeal more than brighter ones to you?
Choosing Home Interior Paint Colors – How To Choose Room Colors
Paint is a simple way to refresh any room, but experimenting with new colors for your space can be intimidating. Learn tricks of the trade and how to choose a palette like an expert with professional designer Nadia Geller. Plus, see how to use Autodesk Homestyler, the free* online 3D home design software, where you can test out your choices before you ever pick up a brush.